The longlist for the 2007 Man Booker Prize has been released. Here it is.
- Darkmans by Nicola Barker
- Self Help by Edward Docx
- The Gift of Rain by Tan Twan Eng
- The Gathering by Anne Enright
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid
- The Welsh Girl by Peter Ho Davies
- Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones
- Gifted by Nikita Lalwani
- On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan
- What Was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn
- Consolation by Michael Redhill
- Animal's People by Indra Sinha
- Winnie & Wolf by A N Wilson
Nothing really jumps out at me on this list. There is the inevitable contribution from Ian McEwan. He seems to get nominated every year, even though he is a bit of an overrated author. Atonement was a good book, but most of his other recent efforts have been average. I have not read On Chesil Beach yet, so I will reserve judgement on whether or not Mr McEwan deserves his nomination this year.
Stay tuned to this space for reviews of the longlist books as I read them. Given my various Summer commitments I expect to make it through one or two of the nominees...